Thursday, August 10, 2006

 

Guest spot

We are about to let my Mother write an entry in our blog site. I have no idea what to expect but she is a primary school teacher so I expect it will be gramatically correct at the very least. So from the italics is my Mum:

Having spent 5 months following their exploits in this blog I feel highly honoured to be given this moment of glory. Our arrival did not go as planned as you can read in the blog but I think Rhodri forgets that he must have got his sense of direction from one of us (definitely me) so our trials and tribulations with Continental were not really our fault. Anyhow, the high spot of the trip was of course seeing Rhod and Anna waving at us from the roof of the airport at Arequipa and being able to give both of them a BIG hug one each from me and on strict instructions, one each from Julia, Anna's mum. We seem to have coped quite well wth the altitude although walking anywhere at first made you feel about 90 as we got out of breath. We have bounced our way along some pretty dreadful roads to see the most amazing condors in flight. They are so majestic but sadly not very attractive close up. At Puno I had my first ride in a limousine, I had been saving that treat for my 60th birthday but I have done it now??? I should maybe tell you that a limousine is a tricycle with 2 passengers at the front and a hard working man pedalling at the back. However, later, Jose, our tour guide, told us that he had to tell them to observe the traffic lights and stop at road junctions so it was not wise to take one on our own. The floating reed islands were a sight to see and riding in a reed boat is definitely to be recommended. It was a lovely sunny day when we went so they looked delightful, but it must be a hard life. The train from Puno to Cusco went through wonderful scenery but it took us a few hours to find our land legs when we got off. To add a bit of excitement to our boring humdrum lives we decided to go white water rafting in the Sacred Valley. As we set off in the bus I noticed that there was a small Welsh flag near the driver. The rafting was enormous fun, although I think I could have paddled a bit harder. I did at one point nearly go overboard and I did lose my paddle but managed to grab it before it floated away. Juan Carlos was, I think, impressed with my efforts and he was certainly surprised to find that I can whistle loudly by putting my fingers in my mouth?? all very grown-up and motherly you will agree. After the rafting when we were having lunch on the riverbank I showed the driver my Welsh flag towel and one of the raft drivers rushed up and said 'Iechyd Da' to me. He was most impressed by my Welsh origins as most people would be?? and later when he was giving out sweets I got an extra one, which I managed to say thank you for in Welsh. Machu Picchu was sadly not a high spot for me although I did get to see it. WOW!! I was not well but had some very interesting conversations with 2 very attentive Peruvian doctors. Today in Cusco I found the office of the Peruvian Primary Teachers Union but unfortunately did not have my NASUWT card on me so I could not go and greet my brothers and sisters??? The town square in Cusco is very attractive and we finally got to taste Guinea Pig. Yuk! It was very difficult to find any meat and I know my class will never forgive me if they find out I have been eating guinea pig. Arriving back in Lima we had a ride in a collectivo which is a sort of large mini-bus and you just jump on and it costs one Sol(17p) and you can travel as far as you like. The amazing thing was that when you stop for any reason people jump on trying to sell you chocolates or water or anything else you might fancy. It is not at all like the B15 but it was more interesting and a lot cheaper. We are going to the Nazca lines and the Ballestos Islands tomorrow and I'm sure we will be just as amazed as we have been by everything else on this trip. It is a truly fantastic country, the history and the ruins are awesome and the people we have met very friendly and helpful. I am so pleased that we decided to take the plunge and set off on this adventure to meet Rhodri and Anna because it has been magical. However the difficult bit is yet to come when we have to say goodbye to them both. I will probably shed a few tears and as usual John will tell me not to be so silly because they are doing what they want to do and thoroughly enjoying themselves. John and I are off to New York for a few days before flying home and I'm sure that will be an adventure too albeit much more modern. I am now planning to have a gap year when I retire so watch out World and keep a look out for a blogspot of my travels in a couple of years time.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?