Tuesday, July 25, 2006

 

BANG!

I was thinking the other day that nothing particularly extreme had happened to us in the last few weeks. I was almost pondering that it had become perhaps, dare I say, a little bit easy. I wondered where the next strange event would come from and surprise surprise it turned up when I was least expecting it.

We`ve just been to Mendoza in the West of Argentina. We travelled, as is our want, by luxury sleeper bus. Yesterday evening we had just boarded the bus and set off from Mendoza. The waiter was bringing round the drinks and the sandwiches and I couldn`t have been more comfortable. We were only a stone´s throw away from Mendoza bus station when the unexpected occured.

I`m told that someone at the side of the road threw a rock at the bus. I didn`t see anything because I was concentrating on eating my free sandwich. The first I knew of the incident was when the rock hit the window next to me and shattered the glass with a fairly loud bang. I then got a glass shower all over my head, lap and down the back of my T-shirt. It was a surprise and I would imagine some expletives issued from my mouth in the immediate aftermath. It took me a few moments to work out what had gone on. I then realised that I was sat in a puddle of glass and there was a lot of breeze in the bus. I then became hugely disappointed as I couldn`t eat my sandwhich because it was covered in glass!

The bus drove to the nearest depot, luckily not too far as we hadn´t been going very long. We then spent the next hour and a half shaking glass shards out of my T-shirt and brushing it out of my hair while the mechanics fitted a new window. We finally set off for our overnight trip to Buenos Aires but I found sleeping surprisingly difficult as I woke up regularly to check the window was still in tact.

The good news is I escaped from the whole event with only one small cut on my hand. There were also more sandwiches!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?