Wednesday, June 14, 2006

 

Spanglish

It's a real skill to be able to speak another language. Luckily I am one of those skilful people. Within a few days of being in South America I am fluent in Spanglish. I've surprised myself at how quickly I've picked it up. It also involves some clever intonation and the use of elaborate hand and facial gestures.

Lesson 1 = Try leaving a restaurant you have been in all evening and turning to the chef and waitress at the other end by the counter and shouting confidently over all the other diners "Hola!".

Lesson 2 = If you have not learnt your lesson from the previous night you could try the reverse, walking into a laundrette and happily greeting the guy with "Adios!"

Lesson 3 = If you are really good but your numbers only go up as far as 3 you can try ordering the equivalent of a McDonalds value meal in the Taco Bell: "Uno 'Big Fill' dos and uno 'Big Fill' nine".






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?