Thursday, June 15, 2006

 

Pisco gone sour

The other day we met Enzo. He is a sociology (I don't think I know what that is) student in Santiago and he had written us a poem. In return for this poem he wanted us to contribute to the cost of his studies. It is exam time everywhere at the moment and I felt like reminding him that his time could be better spent in the library rather than harassing tourists for money. Unfortunately for him we didn't want to contribute to the cost of his studies so we departed swiftly. We had fallen for this scam before in Beijing and as we had only 30 US dollars to our name at that point in time we certainly weren't going to be giving handouts.

This evening however we re-met Enzo and his friend Michel at a different end of the same street. Enzo recognised us. A common problem when you are always wearing the same coat and it doesn't look like it was purchased in Santiago. They informed us that it was Enzo's birthday. We wished him happy birthday and thought we were done with the formalities. They then invited us for a drink. I boldly said I would get him a drink for his birthday so the 4 of us set off towards a pub. Our view was that we would buy the first round at the bar and disappear after that. But oh no.

Enzo suggested we drink Pisco Sour (white wine I think with lemon juice, sugar and egg white) a traditional chilean drink. (No doubt Edwina Curry would have had an issue with the raw egg white part.) We sat down and Michel disappeared outside somewhere to spend his hard earned grant money on a short term indulgence in recreational narcotics. We remained with Enzo drinking the pisco and talking football, life, London, family. He asked us if he could "open his heart" to us(!?!) and of course being all heart ourselves and not at all thinking of what a good blog this might make we listened avidly. It all got a bit weird though. He told a rather disturbing story of his mother being assulted by her brother and having a child. He became tearful and we became slightly scared. Michel returned (slightly dazed) to inform us how many cells there were in the human body and the population density of the USA and Europe.

When the bill came I was expecting some sort of split with us picking up the majority. The total bill was 13,200 pesos (13 pounds 20p) of which I had 10,000. I announced that I could afford 10,000 and did they have 3,200 to finish it off. Cue lots of face pulling and shoulder shrugging and no money coming forward.

Suddenly the whole "birthday," "poor mama," "you are my best friends" talk fell into place. We'd been done. I tell Anna to get her coat at which point the waitress and manager appear. I explain in fairly loud english (always best when you can't speak the language) that I have 10,000 and the other guys have nothing. I have no more money on me. Enzo and the stoner are un-moved. Funny how Michel can afford to fund an expensive drugs habit yet can't quite cough up a measly 3 pounds 20p. The manger says "Are these your friends?" "Not any more!" is my reply. He seems to understand and takes our 10,000 and doesn't make chase as we hastily exit the bar and run back to the hostel leaving Enzo and Pete Doherty to sort out 3 pounds 20.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?