Saturday, May 06, 2006

 

Not good sport

We watched some more footy today. This footy was NRL (Rugby League) For those in the UK rugby league is the other form of rugby played by Northerners. I believe I am correct in saying that Northern Rugby is played with only 13 players on each team as opposed to 15 because there are less people in the North.

South Sydney Rabbitohs V Melbourne Storm

Australians listen up. Rabbitohs is not a good name. It's not exactly going to instill fear in the opposition. Storm is a bit more purposeful and it is no surprise that by the end of the game the team named after the cuddly domestic pet have, to coin a phrase from an American, 'had their arse handed to them' by the team named after some thunder and lightening. Final score, for those who are interested (and I know there won't be many as only 8,500 people bothered to show up for the game even though the tickets were being given away for free) was Rabbitohs 14 Storm 38.

The truth is I can't warm to Rugby League. It's just not a good sport. I know you can't expect a rip snorter of a game when you are watching the bottom of the table team who haven't won all season but in reality it is tough to watch.

You will be pleased to hear that I actually gave the game my full attention this time. I even led the booing at one point for one of the Melbourne Storm who had just up-ended one of the opposition and dumped him on his head. I was more impressed however with the Rabbitoh cheerleaders who somehow managed to execute a dance routine to a version of Britney Spears' 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' mixed in with the Prodigy's 'Breathe'!?!

So I will rank the sports as I see them now.

1. Footy (Proper English Football)
2. Footy (Rugby Union)
3. Footy (Australian Rules)
4. Footy (American Football)
5. Footy (Rugby League)

Americans, be grateful you got 4th. I've not yet seen a game so I've been generous.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?