Sunday, May 07, 2006

 

Kylie-mania

What kind of fool comes to Sydney this summer and doesn't visit the Kylie exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum? Today I decided to go and see what all the locomotion was about. Rather than take someone I'd just met, my equally Kylie-obsessed friend Amy came with me: better the devil you know and all that. It's never too late to go (actually it is if you go after the final day of the exhibition which was in fact today.) Had I missed it there would have been tears on my pillow tonight. Rhod came too but after about 5 minutes of feathers and glitter he was ready to go and he wandered around the other 5 floors in the same time it took Amy and I to peruse this one area of the museum.

I was shocked to see so many of her most famous costumes on display. I should be so lucky to fit into them all though, they were tiny! It was a step back in time to see her famous mechanic's apprentice dungarees encased in a glass box. Je ne sais pas pourquoi but you couldn't take photos inside. I considered a sneaky no-flash attempt but had the camera been confiscated, 2000 pictures would have been lost. I actually took a moment to weigh up this decision but soon remembered how disappointed you would all be if deprived of these photos in the 5 hour slide show we will inflict upon you on our return. So I resisted but I did it especially for you kids.

The highlight of the exhibition (especially for the guys) came at the end as I edged my way to the front of an ever-increasing crowd of open-mouthed onlookers. There in a wall-mounted glass box glowing in all their glory were the iconic golden hotpants worn by Kylie in the 'Spinning Around' video. I think some of you would have given anything to put yourself in my place.

''Please stay," I pleaded with Rhod at the end. "Give me just a little more time in there!" Alas, lunch was calling and I was forced to come into my world again after an indulgent hour and a half.

[If you haven't worked out already, I'm not mad, I've just included as many Kylie song titles as possible in this blog. I challenge you to find them all. Oh and for those of you who don't know what I look like, this is a photo of me last night hanging out at a top Sydney bar.]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?