Friday, May 19, 2006

 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!



What the hell is going on? I'm walking off the side of a mountain. Now I'm running. I've handed over money to a man who is telling me to do this and I'm obeying him. I'm getting closer to the edge... and I'm off!

Let me take you back in time 20 minutes. Rhod and I have just climbed up to the top of the 760m hill overlooking Queenstown having shunned the leisurely 5 minute cable car option deeming it only for the weak. It has taken us 1 hour 20 minutes of solid uphill walking and we are shattered and are now wishing we had taken the cable car. However, the view over Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables at sunset is totally rewarding. Being luxury backpackers we decide to treat ourselves to a cake and so we take a well-earned rest in the cafe.

We have just tucked into our cakes when we see a man approaching mentioning something about a 'special offer.' Our ears prick up at the thought of a bargain but as he comes nearer something that would make any thrill-seeker ecstatic only makes my heart sink. He is offering us a chance to paraglide over the most beautiful town in New Zealand at sunset for half the normal price with photos and video included, all in all for around 35 pounds! Queenstown is a backpackers' pilgrimage. It is the very epicentre for adventure sports in New Zealand, if not the world. In one day it is possible to sky-dive, bungy jump, whitewater raft and paraglide, should you have the inclination and the money.

"Eat up, you need to come now if you're going to do it!" he says encouragingly. Before I knew what was doing I was handing over the cash for Rhod and I. (We don't recall signing a disclaimer though. Hmm.) It was one of those chance-of-a-lifetime opportunities that I knew I had to take even though I could think of nothing I'd rather do less at that moment!

My heart was already pumping but to make it worse we had to catch a chairlift (frightening enough) and then hike another 10 minutes uphill to get to the very top of the mountain. I couldn't believe I was about to do this but my feet were just leading me. My instructor was Jimmy who was used to wimps like me and was very reassuring, though when someone tells you that you are going to have to start running towards the edge of the mountain and not stop it is hard to feel in any way reassured.

So I did it. I ran off the edge of the mountain. Yes, I screamed. It was quite a lurch on take off and then you quickly have to get used to the fact that you are suspended at a ridiculous height over the town. As we glided gracefully over the tops of the trees and the lake I almost convinced myself that I was enjoying it. That feeling was short-lived and when Jimmy uttered the words "You're going to hate me now Anna!" I knew I was in for a shock. In order to get the parachute down to land you have to perform a number of turns and spins at fast pace. Let's just say that Rhod who had already landed heard me coming! There was no grace to my descent. I simply closed my eyes and screamed until no sound came out! Rhod's instructor found this so amusing that he decided to film the event from where he stood. Ha ha.

Well I have lived to tell the tale and I definitely don't regret it. It was an amazing experience but maybe one that wont be repeated for a long while. The residents of Queenstown need some peace and quiet.

http://www.paraglide.net.nz/






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?