Wednesday, March 08, 2006

 

Finn foot ferrago!


(Vickers/Finns - hope you like the slick use of the word 'ferrago'!)

Well I'm trying to set a new record for longest time anyone stays in a hostel without venturing outside. I have somehow managed to injure my foot, probably from carrying my bag. This however has left me hostel-bound. Yesterday, I managed a 10 minute walk up and down the street outside. Today I managed an hour's foot massage in the shop next to the hostel. Yet another example of me spoiling everyone else's fun!

Anyway, chinese foot massage! Slightly painful, particularly the part where she yanks your foot in all directions, but all for only 4 pounds!! I managed to make a new friend in Cindy (strange chinese name I know!) She could only speak limited english but, like most chinese people, seemed to have the words 'love', 'boyfriend', 'husband' and 'marriage' firmly rooted in her vocabulary. So we stumbled along for the whole hour talking about all those things. Good job I don't mind. They all seem to be obsessed with it here. When we were stopped in the streets the other day, the question 'Are you married?' seemed to crop up surprisingly early on in the conversations, followed by some nervous giggling! Anyway, I taught Cindy some english and she tried to teach me some chinese. We ended by talking (I think) about the Forbidden City in Beijing, a huge tourist attraction. She only knew the chinese word and I only knew the english word. Anyway, I think we were talking about the same place. I hope so because she said she would like to go there with me! I have suggested meeting her on Friday at 11am so who knows where we'll end up or how long we can string out the conversation about boyfriends and marriage for?! Watch this space for news on Cindy and Anna's big day out! (Think I'll drag Rhod along with me for moral support! He doesn't know this yet.)
We were meant to be going to the Great Wall yesterday, we put it off until today, and then last night we put it off until tomorrow. Tomorrow is our last chance to go. Poor Rhod has been so good but if I can't go tomorrow he will go anyway. I've sent him out to do some sight-seeing today as I feel so guilty about him staying in with me the whole time. He will do the more extreme wall tour involving 70 degree inclines whereas I will do the remedial tour involving cable cars!


By the way, hope you like the totally random photo.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?